5 Essex Court
Temple, London, EC4Y 9AH
Phone: 020 7410 2000
YEAR OF CALL 1995
Richard qualified as a solicitor in 1985 and joined the city law firm, Travers Smith. He practised in the commercial litigation department and was made a partner in 1991. Notable cases included acting for a consortium of local authorities in a challenge to the privatisation of the water industry in 1989, and representing the Mirror Group Pension Trustees in the Maxwell litigation in the early 1990s. Richard transferred to the bar in 1995, and joined 5 Essex Court in 2005.
Richard is a specialist employment lawyer, regularly representing both respondents and claimants in courts and tribunals and providing clear and practical advice on work-related issues. He has a particular interest in discrimination law, and is the co-author of “Disability Discrimination in Employment” which was published by Oxford University Press in 2009.
- Watkins v Xerox (UK) Ltd: Acted for claimant in 10 day constructive dismissal hearing in Watford employment tribunal
- Tuffley v Amlin Corporation Services Ltd: Acted for claimant in 5 day disability discrimination claim in Central London employment tribunal
- Saunders v Hampshire County Council: Acted for defendant local authority in disability discrimination claim
- Unite the Union v Swissport Ltd: Acted for respondent in collective redundancy consultation claim in Manchester employment tribunal
- Gardiner v Swissport Ltd: Acted for respondent in sex discrimination claim in South London employment tribunal
- Rowan Capital Management plc v Marchmont: Acted for defendant in High Court proceedings for injunctive relief for alleged breach of restrictive covenants in employment contract
- Lucas v Dalkia plc: Acting for respondent in unfair dismissal claim in Birmingham employment tribunal
- Baxter v Titan Aviation Ltd: Acting for respondent in discrimination claim brought under the Part-Time Workers Regulations 2000
- Ellis v North Yorkshire Police: Acting for respondent in constructive dismissal claim in Leeds employment tribunal
- Richard also has extensive experience of personal injury cases, and is particularly interested in employer’s liability for work-related stress, accidents at work, and health & safety issues.
- Recent cases:
- · Saunders v Hampshire County Council: Acted for defendant local authority in claim for breach of statutory duty under health & safety legislation
- · Shute v Hampshire County Council: Acted for defendant local authority in claim for breach of statutory duty under health & safety legislation
- · Barry v Malik: Acted for defendant in occupier’s liability claim
- · Bond v Edworthy & MIB: Acting for severely injured claimant in claim against MIB
- · Tucker v Williams: Acting for severely injured claimant in negligence action
- · May v Hampshire County Council: Advising defendant local authority in claim for provisional damages for breach of statutory duty under health & safety legislation